Sunday, August 8, 2010

I luv you Nigeria




'MY FRIEND'


I once had a friend who was quite ill. The least of what he had was a cold. But he also had malaria, and doctors suspected he was anaemic as he was severely jaundiced.
My friend was a lovely boy to look at. Well, in parts. For some reason, he was developing skin allergies from things that were destroying him internally and so he had some patches here and there. But he was also vibrant in certain areas and you could see and feel that in him.
He had this wide grin that drew you in, and even though there were a few teeth missing and one or two of the teeth seemed to be decaying, you always smiled back. He had a firm handshake and you might have resisted at first, but once you held out your hand to him and he shook it, you felt a warmth radiate.
My friend was basically of an easy going nature. He liked parties and football. But every once in a while, he would lose his temper and then you would be so afraid. These outbursts were temporary but the doctors feared that without some form of psychological help, he would become permanently angry and at war with himself. This could be true since his outbursts have started increasing and these days last for longer.

My friend refuses to wear glasses although it is obvious he needs them. You can tell by the way he stumbles sometimes and always pulls the paper close to read. But i think he thinks wearing glasses would be uncool. Well falling down and breaking your hip is also uncool but hey! Who listens to me anyways?
And speaking of listening... That is something my friend is not good at. Listening.
I think he pretends to listen. He keeps quiet and nods a lot when people talk and then goes right ahead to do the opposite! It annoys me sometimes because really, some things that are said are for his own good. And i will tell you one of the things we said.

You see, my friend is going to turn fifty. I know! I know!
Ideally, one should block the roads, cook some food and bring down heaven and earth. I know people who clear their accounts just so they can celebrate their fiftieth. People buy new clothes, maybe even make new friends. It is not easy to be fifty o, and as they say, ‘dem go take’!
So it is only natural that my friend wants to celebrate his birthday right?
But you see, my friend is ill. He has a cold, and malaria, and he is severely jaundiced.
I think the money he withdraws and spends should not be on the biggest cake he can find, a website in his honour, parties in different states and so on. I think the money he has should be spent on getting himself treated and better!
I think my friend needs to heal his body, his heart, his memories, his mind.
And this is what we have all told him.
But my friend does not listen. And he never seems to learn from his past mistakes.
Like that time my friend celebrated his independence from his parents? He was so excited! But he had no plans! He did not think of how he would keep himself on his feet for years, what his children would eat from, and what people would think of him, and how to relate with others. No, Airegin does not listen to anyone. And so come October 1st, he will celebrate. Possily in darkness, with water drawn from a well that is drying up.
And on the second, he will start all over again


17 comments:

  1. LOL! Nice 1. Nigeria is indeed Disease ridden. For some reason "Ill" doesn't just cut it in my head. I have great hope 'cause of our generation. Let's see how the 2nd lap goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to get on the bandwagon; condemn the fatherland and write it off as a failed state. That it may be. Yet, there's so much to love in Nigeria. First of all, it's the only place can call home and celebrate as our own.
    Besides, its people are bubbly and fun. Even OBJ can be fun if you meet him up close and outside of politics.
    There's a lot to love here.
    Thanks Tosyn.
    dave chukwuji

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...you got me there sha...thought you were talking about someone...your analogy was sooo apt... God bless Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing curse words abt 9ja's so easy, so I wouldn't indulge myself right now.
    We will continue to rep 9ja till eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great metaphor shud read this on your shows or create a segment for i, hence driving traffic here. just a thot

    ReplyDelete
  6. its true but sad
    its funny but heart breaking
    really what can we do but pray for ur friend?
    ill just keep visiting him and hope one day he learns to listen

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless nigeria! It is well... Great anaology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...your friend reminds me a lot of my friend too..

    its sad that my friend can't take decisions for herself and those she has relied on have been the reason for her present state...

    ...but as my friend does not listen to my advise, I will go on my knees and intercede for my friend...

    The heart of a king is in God's hands so I know that God will stir my friend's heart...

    I've already started seeing positive changes in my friend, though not much but it's happening in bits... my friend is listening to some new people with positive influences and more people have been inspired to see her get better...

    - she sings nicely now (great music), her voice keeps getting better and is being spoken of internationally :D

    iBelieve my friend will come through this cos I won't give up on my friend...

    Your friend... Our friend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very good read! I would honestly have to agree that this sums up our situation.

    In response to the comments above stating that writing on Nigeria "as a failed state", or "writing curse words about Nigeria" (however I fail to see where the writer curses Nigeria) might be easy, but I believe this serves as a reminder, rather than viewing our 'situation' through rose tinted glasses.

    This speaks about "our" misplaced priorities.

    I hate to use the word "our", because only a select few of the population are in the actual positions, wherein the power (and money) lies to make progress, but rather, they prefer to do the opposite, and further delay our development by another generation.

    It is sad, and it pains me to see my country of birth, the only country I love, in such a sad state.

    But faith will pull "our" friend Nigeria/Airegin, as we ,as a people, are becoming more aware, and standing to what is right (Cool 2 Vote, LightUpNigeria, et al)

    Great post...(after all my talk-talk! :D )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written...your friend just never listens, praying one day He will listen and do the right thing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will never give up on my friend.....great piece

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice article.
    May your friend and my friend too stop pretending one day and actually start listening and acting on what she's heard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tosin, this is better than good, it's not even great...its something better than that that no one has taken time to name.
    It made my heart heavy...so heavy I was soo afraid that the sad tears and tears of sadness would start flowing n someone would nab me while am at it and think me ridiculously sentimental... i mean how many people still cry over Nigeria? But that's how strongly i feel about our mutual friend (sorry i did introduce myself properly before).
    His recklessness worries me because, underneath it I gleam prospects. I guess as we wish him happy birthday, we should in thesame breath pray that God would give him the much needed common sense to heed his doctors and well meaning friends...at least one in a while. Or maybe even that a good doctor who would, if need be, strap him to the table and perform all the long overdue operations, will come along soon.

    ReplyDelete